Are you a Mac user? Then you must be aware of “Keynote” the professional presentation maker tool for Apple users, that lets you make professional and stunning presentations on the go. However, do you know which file format can keynote for Mac open other than its own?
Then we recommend you read this article till the end.
Which file format can Keynote for mac open?
As mentioned earlier, Keynote is the ultimate presentation maker and editor software for Apple users. If we put it simply, it is Microsoft PowerPoint, but for Apple users. It functions and has almost similar features to that of its competitor Microsoft PowerPoint.
However, there are two other file formats that a user can easily open up inside the Keynote app, which again gives the users the flexibility to switch between devices.
The file formats that can be opened up inside the Keynote app for Mac are;
These two file formats that are mentioned above belong to the same presentation software called “Microsoft PowerPoint.”
Although, there is a slight difference between these two formats, which we will be discussing in brief in the next segment.
What is the difference between PPTX and PPT?
PPTX and PPT both these file formats belong to the one and only presentation software “Microsoft PowerPoint”, but these two files have some major differences.
For instance, PPT stands for “PowerPoint Presentations” whereas PPTX stands for “PowerPoint Open XML Presentations.”
PPT file format is one of the oldest file formats known for PowerPoint presentations and has been used for saving presentations for ages. But, when Microsoft introduced Office 2007, this old file format was replaced with the PPTX file format for saving presentation files. And since then it has remained unchanged.
The main difference between these two PowerPoint presentation file formats lies in their size. Yes, the old PPT files were saved on the local disk as a binary collection of records and structure that contained formatting as well as other styling information from the slides.
While the new PPTX files are saved in the form of Office Open XML format, which is stored in a compressed Zip format.
Now, with this difference, it is clear that the PPT file occupies much more space when compared to the PPTX format.
However, even with these differences, a user can open these two file formats with ease using Keynote.
Want to know how?
Well then, just skip to the next section.
How to open PPT or PPTX files on Keynote?
To open PPT or PPTX files on the Keynote app, all you need to do is follow the instructions that are mentioned below.
- Launch Keynote on your Macbook.
- A window will open up after the launch.
- Now, navigate to the location of your Powerpoint file.
- Then, select it and click on open.
- Next, you will see a window that will notify you about any changes that can be made during the import process. The simpler the presentation, the fewer the complications.
- And that’s it, your PowerPoint file is now opened up in Keynote.
You can also drag the PowerPoint file to the Keynote app icon to open it.
On iPhone or iPad:
To open a PowerPoint presentation via Keynote on your iPhone or iPad, you just need to follow the steps that are mentioned below.
- Install Dropbox or Google Drive on your iPad/iPhone and then log in to your account. You can also sign-up with fresh credentials if you don’t have an existing Google Drive or Dropbox account.
- Now, transfer the PowerPoint file that you want to open on your iPad/iPhone to Dropbox or Google Drive.
- Then, navigate to that PowerPoint file from Dropbox or Google Drive.
- Next, tap on the “(i)” button visible in the corner.
- Now, tap on “Open in” followed by “Open in Keynote.”
- It will start opening up your PowerPoint Presentation file inside the Keynote app.
- It will also give a fair warning about the changes that users can notice while opening the presentation on Keynote.
- And that’s it, your PPT or PPTX file has been successfully opened up inside the Keynote app.
Now that we have discussed Keynote in detail, it can be clearly said that it is a powerful and professional-looking presentation app that Apple has provided to its users, that can also undoubtedly handle the PPT and PPTX file formats along with its own KTH (Keynote) file format.
So, next time, if you are planning to open up a PowerPoint presentation file on your MacBook, iPhone, or iPad, then don’t worry and do the needful without any second thoughts.
Frequently Asked Questions on Keynote:
Is Keynote better than PowerPoint?
Yes, Keynote can be a better alternative to PowerPoint if you are aiming to easily integrate sound and videos into your presentation.
Can I access my Keynote presentations over my other apple products?
Yes, you can access your Keynote presentations over your other apple products by storing them on your iCloud account instead of the local storage.
Can Keynote presentations be opened up on a Windows PC?
Yes, like Keynote allows users to open PowerPoint files on the app, Microsoft PowerPoint also allows its users to open up the Keynote presentations file.
What does a dimmed presentation file mean in Keynote?
If a presentation file is dimmed and can’t be selected, then it means the presentation file can’t be opened on the Keynote app.