Due to increased competition from Open Office and its Open Document Format, Microsoft introduced the XLSX format with Microsoft 2007, and since then it is used as a default modern file format for Excel spreadsheets. However, many users still get confused between XLS and XLSX. So, to clear this confusion, we have specially curated this article which focuses on what is an XLSX file format, and how to open XLSX file.
What is an XLSX File?
The XLSX file has been the default configuration to save book keeping pages without macros in Microsoft Excel beginning around 2007. It is, in this way, the standard bookkeeping page design.
These sorts of bookkeeping pages can be utilized to perform computations or make charts, for instance.
Before Office 2007, Excel was used to save accounting pages as XLS files utilizing the .xls file extensions. Since the distribution of Office 2007, Excel has utilized the XML-based document design XLSX as a matter of course.
Not at all like XLS, XLSX is a sort of document. The singular pieces of an archive are saved independently and packaged together in the document.
XLSX files are documents utilized in Microsoft Excel, a bookkeeping page application that utilizations table to put together, break down, and store information.
Every cell can contain message or mathematical information, including consolidating numerical equations.
Most effective method to open it
The simplest way of opening a file with the XLSX extension is to utilize a somewhat late form of Microsoft Excel.
You will experience no difficulty opening documents in the XLSX design on the off chance that you use version2007 or higher.
Stage 1: Double snap on the file
To open XLSX files in Excel, essentially double tap on the file. If you have a viable adaptation of Excel introduced on your PC, the record will naturally open.
Stage 2: Drag and drop the file into an Excel window
In case Excel is now open, you can utilize your mouse to drag the XLSX document onto the open bookkeeping page.
To do as such, click on the XLSX record, keep the mouse button held down, drag the document onto the open Excel accounting page and afterward discharge the button. This will likewise open the XLSX file.
Stage 3: Open the file in Excel
If the XLSX file doesn’t naturally open in Excel notwithstanding there being a viable adaptation of Excel introduced on your PC, the spring-up menu can help.
Utilize your mouse to right-tap on the XLSX file and select the “Open with” choice. A window will open suggesting programs that could open the record. From that point, click on Excel and the product will open the record.
Step by step instructions to open it
- You used to have the option to download a similarity pack from the Microsoft landing page.
- The allowed to utilize Excel Viewer, which was utilized by numerous individuals to open the new file design, is additionally presently not authoritatively given by the distributor.
- None the less, you don’t have to purchase another form of Excel to open XLSX files.
- Projects from different distributors can likewise deal with XLSX records.
- Then again, you can in any case save a document in the old XPS design in all new forms of Excel.
- In any case, a few elements of the XLSX record may not be accessible in the XLS document, or the arranging might look somewhat changed.
How is an XLSX not the same as an XLS file?
This is an Excel accounting page record utilized by before variants of the Microsoft programming Excel.
After 2006, the Excel program started saving the documents as an XLSX extension, which stays the present status of saved Excel records.
The XLS is as yet open by all frameworks equipped for getting to XLSX. Moreover, more established PCs and programming frameworks might in any case utilize the XLS in case they’re utilizing obsolete working frameworks.
Advantages of utilizing an XLSX file document
- These type are essential for organizations with a lot of information that requires association. The XLSX can be arranged in various ways that allow groups a more noteworthy opportunity for data disclosure. The format and construction of XLSX say a great deal regarding an organization and its general effectiveness, so sort yours in like manner.
- Besides, XLSX supports the comprehension of information by setting out freedom for clients to see a lot of information inside an outwardly oversimplified design. By seeing a format of information inside coordinated lines and segments, clients gain a significant understanding of the reason and which means of the information depicted.
Most effective method to change over an XLSX file
Consider changing an XLSX over to an alternate document extension to build the variety of gadgets and programming that can open the record you’re chirping away at.
Here’s the way to do as such on the two Windows and Mac
- Open the planned XLSX document inside Microsoft Excel
- Click the ‘Document’ dropdown menu, then, at that point, click ‘Product’.
- Click ‘Make as’ and select the planned expansion (PDF, and so forth)
- Under the ‘Save as’ dropdown in the popup save window, select the expansion
- Go to ‘Record’ then ‘Save as’
- Select the expected arrangement extension from the ‘record design’ dropdown box
- Click ‘save’
The XLSX file is the advanced way for organizations to coordinate and spread out information. Become familiar with its capacity.
The flexibility and features that the XLSX file format provides to its users are immense. And with the support to open up this particular file format with different operating systems, it has successfully managed to become one of the most standard file formats for Excel spreadsheets.
So, it is necessary for one and all to be aware of what an XLSX file is and how to open it on different OS platforms.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is XLSX compatible with older versions of Microsoft Excel?
No, the modern XLSX file format is not compatible with the older version of Microsoft Excel, i.e., Microsoft Excel 2003 and earlier. However, you can save the file as an XLS file or use a compatible pack provided by Microsoft.
How can I recover a lost or corrupted XLSX file?
To recover a lost or corrupted XLSX file you can use these 4 methods.
- Use built-in recovery options.
- Use file-repairing software.
- Open the data in Safe Mode.
- Restore it from the backup.
How can I freeze or lock rows or columns in XLSX?
To freeze or lock rows or columns in XLSX you can follow these steps:
- Select the row and column.
- Now, go to the “View” tab and select “Freeze Panes.”
- Lastly, choose one of the following options: “Freeze Top Row“, “Freeze First Column“, or “Freeze Panes.”
How can I Unfreeze or Unlock rows and columns in XLSX?
To unfreeze or unlock rows and columns in XLSX, you can:
- Go to the “View” tab.
- Then, select the “Freeze Panes” option.
- Lastly, choose “Unfreeze Panes.”
How can I convert XLSX to XLS or another file format?
If you want to convert XLSX to XLS or any other file format, then you can use these three methods;
- Use the “Save As” option.
- Online conversion tools.
- Standalone conversion software.
Can XLSX files be edited on other spreadsheet programs besides Microsoft Excel?
Yes, XLSX files can be edited on other spreadsheet programs besides Microsoft Excel, but compatibility may vary depending on the software.
Therefore, we recommend you check the compatibility and functionality before using any other spreadsheet program.
Can the XLSX file be password protected?
Yes, you can easily password-protect the XLSX file using the “Protect Workbook” option.
However, password protection is not considered extremely secure as it can be easily cracked using specialized software.
What are the other options to protect XLSX files?
If you are serious about protecting the XLSX worksheet, then you might want to use encryption-based software or secure cloud-based storage.
Can XLSX files contain macros?
Yes, XLSX files can contain macros, as macros are a sequence of functions and commands that helps automate tasks in Excel.
Do macros come pre-enabled in XLSX files?
No, for security reasons the macros don’t come pre-enabled in XLSX files. And therefore, if you want to use macros then you will need to change the macro security settings in Microsoft Excel.
Are all macros in XLSX safe?
No, you cannot trust every macro that is available in XLSX because some may be infected with malicious code. Therefore, it is advised to be careful while enabling or downloading macros from unknown sources.
Can XLSX files be edited on mobile devices?
Yes, XLSX files can be edited on mobile devices with the help of spreadsheet software such as Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel for mobile. However, the functionality and features may differ from that of the desktop version.
What is the maximum size for an XLSX file?
The maximum file size of an XLSX depends upon the memory and disk space available on the computer that is running the software.
Can I share XLSX files with others over the internet?
Yes, you can share the XLSX files with others over the internet using different services like Cloud-based storage and sharing services such as Google Drive or Dropbox. You can also share it via link or email.