Have you ever been in a situation where you liked a quote or a step-by-step tutorial on the internet, but were unable to copy it because it was in the form of an image? Well, to solve this problem, we have jotted down a list of 5 Chrome extensions to copy text from an image.
5 Chrome extensions to copy text from an image.
Chrome extensions have been a part of the Google Chrome family for years, and factually, these additional tools are capable of performing some of the tasks that a browser alone can’t.
Now, as per the main query, these are the 5 best Google Chrome extensions that will help you to copy text from an image.
- Text Recognition (OCR).
- Copyfish Extension.
- OCR editor.
- Image to text OCR.
- OCR Image Reader
Text Recognition (OCR):
Text Recognition (OCR) by Google is the first image recognition tool that we suggest to our users.
This tool is owned by Google and comes in-built with your Chrome browser, so you can trust it completely.
It allows you to extract text from PDFs and Images using the Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software as the name suggests.
How to use Text Recognition by Google?
To use Text Recognition by Google all you need to do is;
- Open your Chrome browser.
- Search for the image that has text, and then open it.
- Next, right-click on the “Search image with Google.”
- Now, just select the text that appears on the image or click on “Text”, and then click on “Copy.”
If you are a smartphone user, then you will be in immense luck, because Google provides a separate Google lens widget on your smartphone, which functions similarly to that of this tool.
Next is the Copyfish Extension by OCR space. Copyfish extension turns text within any image captured from your screen into an editable format without retyping.
How to use the Copyfish extension?
- Download the Copyfish extension on your Chrome browser and then search for your image.
- Afterward, just click on the extensions menu visible at the top and then select the “Copyfish” extension.
- Then, just select the part of the image that contains text and that’s it. It will automatically convert the image into text.
- Lastly, you can click on “Copy to clipboard.”
OCR Editor by ocreditor.com is yet another good image-to-text chrome extension that helps a user to extract text from images, pdf, and word files.
It supports image formats like;
How to use OCR Editor?
Using OCR Editor is very easy, all you need to do is install the OCR Editor extension on your Chrome browser and then follow the instructions;
- Search for any image on Google.
- Then, select OCR Editor extension from the extensions menu.
- Next, all you need to do is click the “Upload an image” or “Detect Now” option.
- After that, select the part of the image that contains the text. It will automatically convert the image into text.
- Lastly, just copy the text, and done.
Image to text (OCR):
Image to text (OCR) by imagetext.xyz is the second last pick on our list. It is a fast simple image-to-text scanner chrome extension that can scan any image and provide high-quality PDF and Text output. You can also play the image text as audio. Plus the USP of this chrome extension is that it doesn’t affect accuracy, so you can stay assured.
How to use Image to text (OCR)?
To use the Image to text (OCR), first, download the extension from the Chrome store and then follow these steps:
- Click on the extension icon followed by the Image to Text extension.
- Then, move the selection square to the appropriate place of the image.
- Next, click on the “+” sign.
- You will see the text inside the OCR result window.
- Lastly, Copy the text, Translate it, or Google search the text.
OCR Image Reader:
OCR Image Reader by Brian Girko is the last pick for the Chrome extension that can help you extract text from any image. It uses the “tesseract.js” library which supports more than 100 languages and has script detection as well as an automatic text orientation feature.
How to use OCR Image Reader?
To use OCR Image Reader all you need to do is add it to your Google Chrome browser, and then follow these steps;
- Navigate to the OCR – Image Reader extension from the extensions menu.
- Then, click on the OCR Image Reader extension.
- After that, select the area of the image containing text.
- And that’s it, the extension will download, analyze and convert the image into text.
You can also select the accuracy to improve the text conversion.
Note: Sometimes the results may vary, therefore it is advised to proofread the text first and change it manually if required.
Bonus: Extracting text from images using Chrome Flags.
You can also use Chrome Flags to extract text from images.
To activate this hidden feature on your Chrome browser all you need to do is;
- Visit “chrome://flags” on the Chrome browser.
- Now, type “Experimental Web Platform features” inside the search bar, and then, “Enable” the flag using the dropdown.
- After that, type “copy-image-text.glitch.me” inside the address bar.
- Now, click on “Choose File“, upload the image containing text, and then click on “Submit.”
- That’s it! The text will be generated inside the “Extract text from Image” box.
While surfing the internet, you will definitely come across some images that can contain text.
So any day, if you feel like you want to copy the text that is inside the image, then all you need to do is give these Chrome extensions a try.